Sunday, February 1, 2009

Lab #16






In October 2008, I had the opportunity of registering people to vote right here on campus. Other students and I sat in the Pickle and heckled with people to convince them to register. But because we are on a liberal college campus, most of-age citizens were already registered, while some had just not found the time to do so. I did not think that so many young citizens would have been registered because of past voter turn out.



Although many of our peers were being active individuals in the matters of our country, some were active pain-in-the-butts. Most men felt like testing my knowledge of registration and the political process, perhaps in an attempt to avoid the papers in front of their stubble claimed faces. And the argument of votes really making a difference was a major concern, a concern I quickly addressed.



North Carolina, known for being a red state, was on swing state status and with our 15 electoral votes at stake, it was an important time to vote. Some out-of-state students did not know which state to register in, home or school. I used my own situation to help them come to a decision. My home state of Idaho has a pathetic 4 electoral votes, and it will ALWAYS be a red state, the chance to vote for the first time in a swing state is incredible. For me, it truly made me feel as if my single vote was important to the political race for President.



Although I am not completely sure of just how many students we registered on that day, I know that we performed an important task that benefited ourselves, and our country. On November 4, a day after my 18th birthday, I voted for the first time. The experience was truly unique and special for me. I believe that political participation is important for communities as well as individuals, because it makes you appreciate your right to vote in a way that is indescribable. Participation keeps healthy and active relationships within a community, and is a small service anyone of any age can do.



No comments:

Post a Comment