Sunday, February 1, 2009

Lab #6





Lab #6 was a lab requiring me to explore social capitol by taking a poll. I decided to ask local teenagers in my community how many close friends they had. I would tally their number under one of these four categories- 1-2 friends, 3-6 friends, 7-10 friends, or 10+ friends. I decided it would be a good idea to define a "good" friend since some teenagers' definitions are drastically different than others. I defined a "good" friend as someone one could sit down at Krankies with on a sunday and talk to, hold an interesting conversation with, and hang out that afternoon without anything being awkward. When i began polling some people were surprised that this was even a serious question..."I have tons of good friends!" they replied. To this response I was surprised. I found that most people I asked had between 3-6 good friends. I expected that. The second largest range was 10+. When I repetitively acquired 10+ answers I began pondering this question: Are the teenagers who have 10+ good friends mostly from UNCSA? If so, (which most ended up being from) is that because the UNCSA students have similar personalities and characteristic which allows them to be more outgoing or persistent or able to manage their time with many different people. By being at UNCSA alone I believe students are forced to adapt to a group of diverse student body and live with others on a daily basis. These aspects of being independent yield UNCSA students the skills required to become friends with a larger group of people on a deeper level.

5 comments:

  1. I thought this was an interesting idea because I like to see the actual tally marks of people with certain numbers of friends. I feel like the NCSA community is fairly close so it makes sense that there are many people who believe they have ten or more close friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great idea, but friends is loosely defined, so I feel many people who put 10+ may have been talking about just people they talk to, not very close friends. Then again the community at NCSA is pretty tight, so maybe they do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We tried to define "good friend" as someone you could spend a day with, one-on-one, without any awkwardness. So I think most people we surveyed took that into consideration, defining a "friend" as such. But your are probably right in that the amount of friends NCSA students have does not reflect the number of friends the average American has.

    -Eve

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great project dude.. it was kind of interessting but i feel like you guys didnt test enough people about it because people here have alot more friends than most people posted.
    YOu guys are my friends...kinda haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great great great! You guys have such creative ideas and wonderful execution!

    ReplyDelete